6 Aug 2012

CCE LTER Cruise: Day 7, Life on a Research Vessel….

Posted by dlebental

Written by Dana Lebental, Teacher at Sea

August 3- Day 7

I have now been asked a few times, what is life like at sea? So I asked my colleagues on board, and the answers were very broad….

When it is not science it is Food, Books and Movies …. Dr. Kathy Barbeau

A lot of tired eyes –John W

Unlimited Diet Coke and Science– Jesse

A Dream Come True.. — Dr. Mark Ohman

Plenty O Fish– Pete

Better than a roller coaster– Dave

Doing research while living on a vessel is very different than being on the mainland. Normal, every day activities get shifted,  and there is a lot of hurry up and wait for the science to be done.

When we are not pulling up lines, filtering water, or preparing for the next leg of research to be conducted, we are limited in options.

Sleep…? (Seems to be the number 1 option for most!)

Bunk Beds

The army crawl to get to the top….
Picture taken by Erica Kelly

The first day of the cruise, two of my colleagues/friends came to help me onboard, and took this picture of me in my new quarters. As you can see, the space on top is nice and tight, if not for the army crawl, I would have never made it up! Now I get rocked to sleep every night, hoping the swells are not strong enough to knock me off my bed 🙂 I have spent 7 nights on this vessel in that bed, and if I haven’t fallen yet, I probably won’t. Right?

Now the SeaSoar has been out the past few days, so we have had time to sleep, since only one instrument is in the water at a time. Tomorrow we are anticipating doing a transect line, which means the CTD (Conductivity, Temperature and Depth) casts will be done every hour from sunset to sunrise.

CTD

The CTD being deployed to gather data and collect water samples.

The CTD contains bottles that collect water at different depths.  One major part of this cruise is looking at plankton, and some plankton go through a vertical migration which means they move up the water column towards the surface of the water at night to feed and avoid predators. So by conducting the casts at night, this will allow us to have a better understanding of the water column, it will also mean, no sleep for a while, or you can do what Mike does….

Night Shift

Some people choose beds… others choose bean bags.

Subscribe to Comments

3 Responses to “CCE LTER Cruise: Day 7, Life on a Research Vessel….”

1. […] type of sampling we did was lowering the CTD (Conductivity, Temperature and Depth instrument, which looks like a cage with plastic bottles in […]

2. […] sea. This was a big day, I finally received permission to attach my Styrofoam cups and heads to the CTD (Conductivity, Temperature and Depth Instrument) a device that we were going to lower 2,000 […]

3. […] plastic for the metallically impaired. They obtain their water from a special “clean” Conductivity, Temperature, Depth (CTD) device, that is covered in plastic parts and special paint to prevent rust from forming on the […]